- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Bayport Puppy Saved After Falling Through Ice
Who ordered the chilly dog?
Suffolk County police officers saved a 3-month-old Labrador puppy that had fallen through the ice on Homan Creek in Bayport on Monday morning.
Officers responded to a 911 call of a dog in the canal off Paulanna Avenue at 8:20 a.m.
The pup’s owner, Kevin Fitz, told responding officers at the scene that his puppy, Simon, was missing from his Salt Meadow Lane home.
One of the officers spotted broken ice on the creek, followed the trail with Fitz until they heard barking and then found the puppy under a nearby dock, police said.
Backup officers broke a piece of the dock off and pulled the puppy out of the frigid water. The puppy was then reunited with his owner.
Any longer and he could have been a pupsicle.