- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Lynbrook Couple Found Dead in Suicide Probe
An elderly man and woman married 20 years were both found dead Thursday morning inside their Lynbrook home, Nassau County police said.
“At this time it appears to be a natural cause death and a suicide,” Nassau County police spokesman Det. Vincent Garcia told reporters at the scene.
Police did not immediately release their names.
The 73-year-old woman is believed to have died of natural causes, pending autopsy results, police said. It appears that her 70-year-old husband died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound from a shotgun.
The couple was discovered after a home health care aid arrived at the house but was unable to get inside the locked door, Garcia said. The health care aid called the family and someone came by with a key to open the door when the discovery was made and a witness called 911 shortly before 10 a.m., police said.
The woman was found on a bed, police said, and her husband’s body was discovered nearby.
Officials said Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice and an employee were at the scene. A spokesman for Rice’s office said the incident involved a relative of an employee of the district attorney’s office.