- Long Island Summer Guide 2013 – Concert and Event CalendarPosted 15 days ago
- Suffolk’s Foley Nursing Home Closure Incites Anger, Sadness and SuspicionPosted 17 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE – Thomas Dale: Nassau County’s Top Cop Talks Crime, Scandals, and Cleaning Up the Embattled DepartmentPosted 17 days ago
- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 32 days ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 36 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 37 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 49 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 49 days ago
- 101 Long Island Things To Do With Your Family This SummerPosted 52 days ago
- Muslim Americans: Behind the Veil of a Religion Under AttackPosted 54 days ago
Lynbrook Couple Found Dead in Suicide Probe
An elderly man and woman married 20 years were both found dead Thursday morning inside their Lynbrook home, Nassau County police said.
“At this time it appears to be a natural cause death and a suicide,” Nassau County police spokesman Det. Vincent Garcia told reporters at the scene.
Police did not immediately release their names.
The 73-year-old woman is believed to have died of natural causes, pending autopsy results, police said. It appears that her 70-year-old husband died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound from a shotgun.
The couple was discovered after a home health care aid arrived at the house but was unable to get inside the locked door, Garcia said. The health care aid called the family and someone came by with a key to open the door when the discovery was made and a witness called 911 shortly before 10 a.m., police said.
The woman was found on a bed, police said, and her husband’s body was discovered nearby.
Officials said Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice and an employee were at the scene. A spokesman for Rice’s office said the incident involved a relative of an employee of the district attorney’s office.