- Long Island Summer Guide 2013 – Concert and Event CalendarPosted 13 days ago
- Suffolk’s Foley Nursing Home Closure Incites Anger, Sadness and SuspicionPosted 15 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE – Thomas Dale: Nassau County’s Top Cop Talks Crime, Scandals, and Cleaning Up the Embattled DepartmentPosted 15 days ago
- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 30 days ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 34 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 35 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 47 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 47 days ago
- 101 Long Island Things To Do With Your Family This SummerPosted 50 days ago
- Muslim Americans: Behind the Veil of a Religion Under AttackPosted 52 days ago
Long Island Morning Commute Slowed by Wintry Mix
Long Islanders woke up Wednesday to a messy morning commute brought on by a wintry mix dropped on the area overnight—and there’s more to come.
Forecasters with the National Weather Service in Upton said rain and sleet is expected to continue until 2 p.m. before it clears the area and leaves us with mostly cloudy skies through the night.
Sleet accumulation of less than half an inch is possible Wednesday, forecasters said.
It’s possible—though with the recent stretch of dreary weather some may not believe it—that the sun will peek through the clouds Thursday with forecasters calling for partly sunny skies with a high near 43.
Drivers across the Island are looking to wake up Thursday to friendlier conditions after several accidents Wednesday morning, including one that closed all lanes of the Northern State Parkway between exit 42 and 43 at 6:45 a.m.
A New York State police spokesman wasn’t immediately available to comment on the accident.
A crash on Jericho Turnpike in St. James Wednesday morning claimed the life of one driver, Suffolk County police said. It wasn’t immediately known if the crash was weather related, police said.
Both Nassau and Suffolk police said they didn’t receive reports of any major accidents on the Long Island Expressway.