- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Long Island Morning Commute Slowed by Wintry Mix
Long Islanders woke up Wednesday to a messy morning commute brought on by a wintry mix dropped on the area overnight—and there’s more to come.
Forecasters with the National Weather Service in Upton said rain and sleet is expected to continue until 2 p.m. before it clears the area and leaves us with mostly cloudy skies through the night.
Sleet accumulation of less than half an inch is possible Wednesday, forecasters said.
It’s possible—though with the recent stretch of dreary weather some may not believe it—that the sun will peek through the clouds Thursday with forecasters calling for partly sunny skies with a high near 43.
Drivers across the Island are looking to wake up Thursday to friendlier conditions after several accidents Wednesday morning, including one that closed all lanes of the Northern State Parkway between exit 42 and 43 at 6:45 a.m.
A New York State police spokesman wasn’t immediately available to comment on the accident.
A crash on Jericho Turnpike in St. James Wednesday morning claimed the life of one driver, Suffolk County police said. It wasn’t immediately known if the crash was weather related, police said.
Both Nassau and Suffolk police said they didn’t receive reports of any major accidents on the Long Island Expressway.