- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Rocky Point Man Commits Suicide in Police Custody
A Rocky Point man arrested for driving while impaired by drugs committed suicide Wednesday while in police custody, Suffolk County police said.
Homicide detectives have launched an investigation into the man’s death after he was found hanging in a holding cell around 7 p.m. Wednesday, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 27-year-old man, who police didn’t identify, was initially arrested for driving while ability impaired by drugs, resisting arrest and obstruction of governmental administration just before noon on Wednesday.
He was transported to the Seventh Precinct to be held overnight for arraignment, police said.