- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Rocky Point Man Commits Suicide in Police Custody
A Rocky Point man arrested for driving while impaired by drugs committed suicide Wednesday while in police custody, Suffolk County police said.
Homicide detectives have launched an investigation into the man’s death after he was found hanging in a holding cell around 7 p.m. Wednesday, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 27-year-old man, who police didn’t identify, was initially arrested for driving while ability impaired by drugs, resisting arrest and obstruction of governmental administration just before noon on Wednesday.
He was transported to the Seventh Precinct to be held overnight for arraignment, police said.