- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Carle Place Hotel Evacuated After Guest Commits Suicide
A Carle Place hotel was evacuated after a 21-year-old Elmont man committed suicide in one of the rooms on Thursday afternoon, Nassau County police said.
Employees of the Holiday Inn on Old Country Road told police hotel that an odor was emanating from a room on the second floor shortly before 3 p.m., authorities said.
The building was cleared of all employees and guests before officers with the Emergency Service Unit Hazmat team entered the room and found the victim unconscious.
The man, whose identity was not immediately released, was pronounced dead about six hours later by am AMT at the scene. Six employees were evaluated, but refused medical treatment.
The Nassau County Fire Marshalls removed the chemicals after they were deemed safe, police said.
The hotel was re-opened at 9:30 p.m.