- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Man with Rifle Nabbed Near East Patchogue School
Verne W. Critz Elementary School in East Patchogue was put on lockdown and a man was arrested Tuesday after police received reports of a person near the school carrying what appeared to be a rifle, Suffolk County police said.
When police arrived they found a man with a rifle, but later learned that it was an old relic that was welded shut, a police spokeswoman said.
The man, who police didn’t identify, was arrested, but the charge is unrelated to the gun, police said.
Responding officers determined that he had “no intention to harm anyone,” the spokeswoman said.
It was unclear how close he got to the school.
The lockdown was lifted around 1 p.m., police said.
School officials did not return a call for comment.