- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Letters to the Press – February, 2013
The true criminals with long history of gun crimes are still going to walk before the ink on their arrest paperwork is dry.
Allan Caporuscio via Facebook
Lorraine Sventora via Facebook
@GetCollegeEven via Twitter
What has been lost in the public discussion is any level of courtesy, accuracy or civility. For example, you fail to mention Douglas Coe’s associations with Hillary Clinton, Al Gore and Jimmy Carter. You vaguely link the GOP to Hitler and, of course, the tiresome marriage of the GOP to the evil rich people out there. You complain about Republican propaganda, and then you practice it out with a sledgehammer in your article.
I love this paper, and this will by no means dissuade me from reading it in the future. Your job is to elevate the level of discourse into something of meaning and substance. People on the left and the right have valid and substantive points. Please, sir, I beg you to promote civility, accuracy and further meaningful discussion. You cheapen the value of your paper when you practice the very same nonsense you despise.
T. Chilton, Islip via email
@metaAnnilie via Twitter
- Peace (Republicans started two wars based on fabrications.) I thought I read something about lying as well.
- Serve the poor (Republicans fight to destroy unions, cut healthcare and social security, and cut funding to education, yet fight tooth and nail to protect tax cuts for the super wealthy.)
- Jesus served the poor and the marginalized in society.
- He threw the money lenders out of the temple.
- He healed the sick. These people where His PRIORITIES, not the wealthy and well-connected. A camel through the eye of a needle, indeed!
- People are so easily mislead. Repeat a sound bite long enough and it becomes gospel. Thanks to good people like you my sanity remains restored. (Most days!)
Patrick Connelly, Oceanside via email
In its recent article “Atomic Warfare” (Jan. 2), The Long Island Press presents a sensational and inaccurate portrayal of both the condition of the former Sylvania Electronic site in Hicksville as well as Verizon’s efforts to address contamination that was discovered at this site since the beginning of the work in 2000. The story was written without any effort to contact Verizon for comment or balance.
The article’s assertion that “there is a secret in Hicksville” is false. The operations that took place in the 1950s and ’60s by Sylvania have been well documented. Prior to the commencement of the investigation and the remedial work and during the investigations and remedial work on the site a number of public meetings were held and written fact sheets providing updates were provided. In fact, information about the investigation and remedial efforts to date has been placed in the Hicksville Public Library. In addition, these meetings, as well as other activities relating to the site, have been widely reported in the press.
The article fails to mention that the New York State Department of Public Health AND the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, as well as other federal and local agencies, have reviewed the environmental data relating to the site, and none has found the site to present a health hazard. Similarly, many of these agencies have overseen the remedial efforts performed by Verizon, which have gone well beyond legal requirements to assure the safety of the community.
Verizon has acted responsibly in response to the discovery of contamination at the site. Sylvania operated the site exclusively for the benefit of and under the close supervision of the federal government. The contract for that work stipulated that the Federal Government, and not Sylvania, was to be responsible for any resulting contamination. Nonetheless, many decades later, Verizon stepped up to the plate and began to address the contamination until the federal government took responsibility to remediate the site.
Any future articles by the Long Island Press about this property should be based on complete and thorough investigations into the facts, so there is a correct and accurate record of what has been an ongoing open and transparent process.
Verizon, Director-Media Relations
via snail mail
575 Uunderhill Blvd., Syosset NY 11791 | 516.284.3300