- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Bay Shore Manhunt: LIRR Service Suspension, School Lockouts
Long Island Rail Road service in Bay Shore was suspended briefly Thursday as the New York Police Department and Suffolk County police conducted a search for a man wanted in a shooting that occurred in the Bronx last year, authorities said.
An NYPD spokesman said the Warrant Squad was conducting the investigation with the help of Suffolk police.
The LIRR shut down service in both directions around 11:30 a.m. between Babylon and Patchogue at the request of Suffolk police, a spokesman for the railroad said.
Service was suspended for 30 minutes, he added.
Both the Islip and Bay Shore School District’s put schools on lockout around the same time that the search was being conducted in Bay Shore. The schools didn’t say if the security procedures were related to the search.
Reports that Southside Hospital in Bay Shore was under lockdown were incorrect, a spokesman for the hospital said in a phone message.
The NYPD said the suspect is wanted in a non-fatal shooting that occurred in the Bronx last November.