- Long Island Summer Guide 2013 – Concert and Event CalendarPosted 12 days ago
- Suffolk’s Foley Nursing Home Closure Incites Anger, Sadness and SuspicionPosted 14 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE – Thomas Dale: Nassau County’s Top Cop Talks Crime, Scandals, and Cleaning Up the Embattled DepartmentPosted 14 days ago
- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 29 days ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 33 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 34 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 46 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 46 days ago
- 101 Long Island Things To Do With Your Family This SummerPosted 49 days ago
- Muslim Americans: Behind the Veil of a Religion Under AttackPosted 51 days ago
Hempstead Man Shot by Cops Charged With Woman’s Murder
A Hempstead man has been accused of killing a woman after he was wounded in a shootout with police officers on Thursday afternoon.
Hempstead village police officers responded to a call of a domestic disturbance at a Roosevelt Street home when Leonard Reed started shooting at the officers at 1:33 p.m., police said.
The officers returned fire, shot the 45-year-old alleged gunman and took him to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening gunshots wounds, police said.
The officers were not injured, but they found a 42-year-old woman with multiple gunshot and stab wounds dead on the kitchen floor and a 26-year-old woman suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest, police said.
The surviving woman was also hospitalized for treatment of a non-life threatening injuries. Police did not release the victims’ names.
Homicide Squad detectives charged Reed with second-degree murder. He will be arraigned at the hospital.