- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Man Shot by Cops Charged With Woman’s Murder
A Hempstead man has been accused of killing a woman after he was wounded in a shootout with police officers on Thursday afternoon.
Hempstead village police officers responded to a call of a domestic disturbance at a Roosevelt Street home when Leonard Reed started shooting at the officers at 1:33 p.m., police said.
The officers returned fire, shot the 45-year-old alleged gunman and took him to Nassau University Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening gunshots wounds, police said.
The officers were not injured, but they found a 42-year-old woman with multiple gunshot and stab wounds dead on the kitchen floor and a 26-year-old woman suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest, police said.
The surviving woman was also hospitalized for treatment of a non-life threatening injuries. Police did not release the victims’ names.
Homicide Squad detectives charged Reed with second-degree murder. He will be arraigned at the hospital.