- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Apartment Fire Leaves 1 Dead
A Hempstead apartment building fire reportedly left an 8-year-old boy dead, 10 people injured and 250 people homeless this weekend.
The injured victims were taken to local hospitals, where nine were treated for non-life threatening injuries and one victim was admitted in critical condition. Authorities did not immediately release the identity of the boy.
About 300 firefighters from the Hempstead, West Hempstead, Rockville Centre, Baldwin, Uniondale, Elmont, Roosevelt, Franklin Square, Lawrence/Cedarhurst, South Hempstead, North Merrick, East Meadow, Mineola and North Bellmore fire departments responded to the blaze on St. Paul Road North at 6:22 a.m. Saturday.
Arson/Bomb Squad detectives and the Nassau County Fire Marshall determined that the fire, which started in a 3rd floor apartment, was not suspicious, although the cause is undetermined. The investigation is continuing.