- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
E. Patchogue Woman, Dog Rescued from Frozen Creek
A 63-year-old woman and her dog were rescued on Valentine’s Day from a small island in Abets Creek in East Patchogue after the woman went to rescue her dog who ran away, Suffolk County police said.
Merry Locurto had gone on the frozen creek behind her home around 3 p.m. after her dog, Blueberry, ran onto the ice, police said. At one point, Locurto fell through the ice but managed to find a small island in the creek where she got herself to shore.
Blueberry was rescued when a Good Samaritan in a kayak pulled the dog from the ice and brought the dog to the island. Suffolk County Marine Bureau officers were notified and pulled Locurto, Blueberry and the Good Samaritan onboard their vessel and returned to shore, police said.
Locurto received treatment at Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, police said, and the Good Samaritan took the uninjured pup back home.