- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Smithtown Couple Critically Injured in Crash
A husband and wife from Smithtown were critically injured in a crash Friday night in East Northport, Suffolk County police said.
According to police, 71-year-old Lucy DiPietro was exiting a Jericho Turnpike shopping center at 6:07 p.m. when a 2011 Mazda driving east in the left lane struck the car.
DiPietro was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where she was listed in critical condition with life-threatening injuries, police said. The 23-year-old driver of the Mazda and DiPietro’s 76-year-old husband, Matthew, were both transported to Huntington Hospital.
Matthew was listed in critical condition, police said, and the woman driving the Mazda was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Both vehicles were impounded for a safety check, police said. The investigation is ongoing. Detectives ask anyone with information regarding the crash to call the Second Squad at 631-854-8252.