- Long Island Summer Guide 2013 – Concert and Event CalendarPosted 14 days ago
- Suffolk’s Foley Nursing Home Closure Incites Anger, Sadness and SuspicionPosted 16 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE – Thomas Dale: Nassau County’s Top Cop Talks Crime, Scandals, and Cleaning Up the Embattled DepartmentPosted 16 days ago
- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 31 days ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 35 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 36 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 48 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 48 days ago
- 101 Long Island Things To Do With Your Family This SummerPosted 51 days ago
- Muslim Americans: Behind the Veil of a Religion Under AttackPosted 53 days ago
Seaford High School Student Dies on School Trip
Seaford High School is mourning the loss of a male student who died tragically during a school-sponsored band trip in Southern California, the Seaford School District said in a statement.
The 15-year-old student, whose name is being withheld to protect the privacy of the family, was transported by ambulance to a California hospital after complaining of a fever, the district said, adding, he felt too ill to fly home. The district did not say when the band went on the trip or how long they were away.
School officials said the hospital has confirmed that the teen’s illness was not contagious. The student’s family is in the process of obtaining the medical details that led to his death, officials said.
“The District is offering grief counseling services for students and families, and asks that your thoughts and prayers be with the family at this very difficult time,” the district said in a statement.