- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Plainview Man Stole $100K from His Mom, Cops Say
A Plainview man has been accused of stealing more than $100,000 from his 85-year-old mother over a two-year period to pay for his drug addiction.
Nassau County police said officers found Paul Hannwacker intoxicated behind the wheel of a car stopped diagonally in the middle of the road at the corner of Rockaway Avenue at Old Country Road in Westbury shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday.
The 46-year-old man was found to be in possession of narcotics without a prescription and later told detectives that he had stolen from his mother to support his drug habit, police said.
Third Squad detectives found that Hannwacker stole a Target Visa card, jewelry and funds from his mother’s bank accounts, police said.
He was charged with grand larceny, forgery, identity theft, falsifying business driving while intoxicated, criminal possession of a controlled substance, driving while ability impaired by drugs and traffic violations.
He will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Hempstead.