- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 1 day ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 5 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 6 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 18 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 18 days ago
Hempstead House Explosion Rocks Neighborhood
A house explosion rocked a Hempstead neighborhood Wednesday afternoon, collapsing the structure on itself and damaging two homes next door.
Hempstead village police and firefighters from surrounding areas responded to the scene on Perry Street near the corner of Cedar Street at about 2:30 p.m.
Officials at the scene said the house appears to have been vacant at the time but are searching the rubble to be sure.
“I thought a car hit my house,” said Joseph Berrouet, 65, who was awakened when he felt his home rattle a block away. “It was a terrible noise.”
A National Grid spokeswoman told reporters that the initial investigation revealed no signs of a gas leak, although neighbors reportedly smelled gas in the days leading up to the blast.
The Nassau County Fire Marshall’s investigators are continuing the probe while construction equipment was brought in to sift through the debris.
Leave a comment
Powered by Facebook Comments