- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
LIRR Brief Service Suspension Sparks Delays
Long Island Rail Road commuters endured train cancellations and delays sparked by a third-rail power problem in the East River tunnels at the height of the Wednesday morning rush hour commute.
The LIRR briefly suspended service between its Jamaica hub and Penn Station at about 8 a.m., which was enough to spark nine train cancelations between the Long Beach, Babylon, Port Washington and Huntington branches.
Some of those trains were immediately replaced with alternate trains. A West Hempstead train was diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue when the issue initially arose.
The LIRR reports service was restored mostly back to normal later the same morning.