- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
NYC Man Sentenced for Sex Trafficking of LI Girl
A Queens man was sentenced Thursday to two to six years in prison after admitting he forced a 15-year-old runaway Long Island girl into prostitution for a week last year.
Gary Council pleaded guilty Feb. 14 in Queens court to sex trafficking charges.
Prosecutors said the 22-year-old man forced the victim to have sex with men in exchange for money at a house in Ozone Park he and others were squatting in, then forced her to give him the cash for six days ending Feb. 11, 2012.
“This was a horrific case in which the victim, a young girl, managed to survive a nightmarish ordeal,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown. “Fortunately…the victim will not have to testify at trial and relive her ordeal.”
When the victim tried to leave or take a shower, Council forced her to stay and prostitute herself through online ads.
“You’re not going anywhere,” Council told the victim, according to prosecutors. “You are going to stay here and make my money.”
The victim fled Feb. 12, 2012, when Council told the victim to go across the street and get him something from the store. She instead ran away and did not return.
Council was the ringleader of a group of men who were rounded up in the case.
Three other men, 24-year-old Junior Goldring, 22-year-old Omari Millington and 23-year-old Renardo Williams, all of Brooklyn, pleaded guilty to raping the girl.
Andrea Furlonge, 22, of Queens, also pleaded guilty to sex trafficking in the case. Roy McMillan, 25, of Brooklyn, pleaded guilty to trespassing.
Goldring, Millington, Williams and Furlonge are scheduled to be sentenced next month. McMillan will be sentenced in April.