- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Oceanside Man Stole $20K from Temple, Cops Say
A man has been accused of stealing $20,000 worth of religious artifacts from the Oceanside Jewish Center over the past six months.
Nassau County police arrested Alexander Membreno, who was employed as the center’s super, and charged him with grand larceny.
Police said the 30-year-old man who lived in a building on the temple grounds stole the items between October 2012 and March.
Fourth Squad detectives, who are continuing the investigation, found that Membreno pawned many of the items for cash at a local pawn shop, police said.
Membreno will be arraigned Tuesday at First District Court in Hempstead.