- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
West Babylon Fire Victim Identified
Suffolk County police Tuesday identified the woman killed in a West Babylon fire two days ago and also released details regarding the cause of the blaze.
Police identified the woman as 59-year-old Gail Giampino. She was found inside the Little East Neck Road apartment that caught fire Sunday just after 4:30 p.m., police said. Giampino was pronounced dead at the scene by the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office, police said.
Det. Lt. Jack Fitzpatrick, commander of Suffolk police’s Homicide Squad, said the fire was sparked by a tenant cooking chicken wings in hot oil that “flamed up.”
Fitzpatrick noted that the fire is still under investigation. Detectives are still waiting on Arson Squad investigators to submit their report, he said.
The fire also damaged four other apartments and injured two others, police said. Both victims were treated at local hospitals and released, police said.