- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 5 days ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 1 month ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Hempstead Court Evacuated for Bomb Scare
Judges, lawyers, court officers and defendants were evacuated from Nassau County’s criminal courthouse in Hempstead following a bomb threat on Monday morning, authorities said.
Hempstead village police said the threat was reported at First District Court on Main Street shortly after 9 a.m. No explosives were apparently found in the building following a search.
“We are working towards minimizing disruption and restoring court services,” Daniel Bagnuola, a court spokesman, said in a statement. “The safety of the public and staff is our top priority.”
He said the evacuation was over about an hour later when court staffers and visitors were being allowed back inside.