- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Court Evacuated for Bomb Scare
Judges, lawyers, court officers and defendants were evacuated from Nassau County’s criminal courthouse in Hempstead following a bomb threat on Monday morning, authorities said.
Hempstead village police said the threat was reported at First District Court on Main Street shortly after 9 a.m. No explosives were apparently found in the building following a search.
“We are working towards minimizing disruption and restoring court services,” Daniel Bagnuola, a court spokesman, said in a statement. “The safety of the public and staff is our top priority.”
He said the evacuation was over about an hour later when court staffers and visitors were being allowed back inside.