- Long Island Summer Guide 2013 – Concert and Event CalendarPosted 15 days ago
- Suffolk’s Foley Nursing Home Closure Incites Anger, Sadness and SuspicionPosted 17 days ago
- EXCLUSIVE – Thomas Dale: Nassau County’s Top Cop Talks Crime, Scandals, and Cleaning Up the Embattled DepartmentPosted 17 days ago
- Long Island Waterfront Restaurants Reopening After SandyPosted 32 days ago
- Four Corners: Surfing on Long IslandPosted 36 days ago
- U.S. Military ‘Power Grab’ Goes Into EffectPosted 37 days ago
- 2013 Long Island Street Fairs & FestivalsPosted 49 days ago
- Long Island Farmers’ Markets Summer 2013Posted 49 days ago
- 101 Long Island Things To Do With Your Family This SummerPosted 52 days ago
- Muslim Americans: Behind the Veil of a Religion Under AttackPosted 54 days ago
Holbrook Bar Robber Stopped by Patrons, Cops Say
A Holbrook man was arrested Sunday night after he allegedly robbed a bar and was immediately stopped by several patrons and the bar owner as he tried to make his way out, Suffolk County police said.
Joseph Spevak, 32, who police said was in possession of three knives and several hundred dollars of cash from the bar, was charged with first-degree robbery.
Police said Spevak was wearing a mask when he walked into Holbrook’s Backporch bar on Grundy Avenue just before midnight. He allegedly went behind the bar and threatened a female worker with a knife and demanded money, police said.
Spevak, according to police, attempted to flee but was stopped by the bar owner and several patrons, who held him until police arrived.
Approximately 15 people were inside the bar when the robbery occurred, police said.
Spevak is scheduled to be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Central Islip.