- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Holbrook Bar Robber Stopped by Patrons, Cops Say
A Holbrook man was arrested Sunday night after he allegedly robbed a bar and was immediately stopped by several patrons and the bar owner as he tried to make his way out, Suffolk County police said.
Joseph Spevak, 32, who police said was in possession of three knives and several hundred dollars of cash from the bar, was charged with first-degree robbery.
Police said Spevak was wearing a mask when he walked into Holbrook’s Backporch bar on Grundy Avenue just before midnight. He allegedly went behind the bar and threatened a female worker with a knife and demanded money, police said.
Spevak, according to police, attempted to flee but was stopped by the bar owner and several patrons, who held him until police arrived.
Approximately 15 people were inside the bar when the robbery occurred, police said.
Spevak is scheduled to be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Central Islip.