- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Men Charged in Shooting
Two men have been arrested for firing a handgun in their hometown of Hempstead early Tuesday morning, Nassau County police said.
Officers responded to a report of shots fired on Cornwell Avenue, where they found four 9 mm shell casings shortly after 4 a.m., authorities said. Witnesses gave police a description and location of the suspects. There were no reported injuries.
Antonio Bennett, 23, and Daniel Desbas, 25, were apprehended shortly later. Bennett was found to be in possession of a loaded 9mm handgun, police said.
Bennett and Desbas were each charged with criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.
Desbas was also charged with criminal use of a firearm and Bennett was additionally charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance.
Both men will be arraigned Wednesday at First District Court in Hempstead.