- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
DNA from Cigarette Connects Uniondale Man to Robbery, Cops Say
Nassau County detectives used DNA from a discarded cigarette to connect a Uniondale man to a robbery of a Chinese food delivery woman last year, police said.
Detectives charged 41-year-old Derek Arms for the alleged robbery and also for three other robberies that occurred in July. In all, he was charged with two counts of first-degree robbery and two counts of second-degree robbery. All of the incidents involved a worker delivering food for a Chinese restaurant, police said.
Arms was placed under arrest Wednesday at Nassau County Correctional Facility where he is incarcerated for another charge, police said.
On Sept. 9, police said Arms was allegedly armed with a large hunting knife during the robbery of the delivery woman in Uniondale.
The three other incidents occurred on July 12 and July 27 in Uniondale and July 28 in Roosevelt, police said. In all three cases, Arms was allegedly armed with what appeared to be a gun, police said.
Arms will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.