- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Cops Search for Possible Missing Person Near Gilgo Beach
Nassau, Suffolk and New York State police conducted a search Sunday for a possible missing person near Gilgo Beach following the discovery of an abandoned vehicle along Ocean Parkway.
The search included K-9, marine and aviation bureaus from various departments after the vehicle was found at about 2 p.m., authorities said. The potential missing person reportedly could be a woman from New York City. There was no description of the possible missing person.
No further details were available from police. The investigation is continuing.
The skeletal remains of four missing prostitutes were discovered on Gilgo Beach in December 2010. Six more sets of human remains were discovered along the parkway between Jones Beach and Oak Beach in March and April 2011.
Police believe some of the bodies to be victims of a serial killer, who to date remains at large.