- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Freeport Middle School Principal Arrested for Sex Act with Teen
The principal of Freeport’s J.W. Dodd Middle School is facing criminal sexual act charges after he was arrested for engaging in “sexual acts” with a male teenager, Nassau County police said.
The principal, 44-year-old John Omard, was charged with four counts of criminal sexual act and will be arraigned Wednesday in Hempstead.
The alleged incident occurred on Sept. 15, 2012 when Omard met the then-16-year-old victim through a social media website, police said. He allegedly arranged a meeting and drove the victim “back to his house and engaged in sexual acts with the victim against his will,” police said in a news release.
Freeport School District Superintendent Dr. Kishore Kunchman released a statement on the district’s website notifying parents that school officials are aware of the investigation. Without identifying Omard by name, Kunchman said the “individual has been administratively reassigned pending the outcome of the investigation currently being conducted by law enforcement authorities.”
“The district will continue to cooperate with law enforcement during their investigation,” Kunchman added. “As this is a personnel matter, the district is legally prohibited from discussing any specifics regarding this individual and the police investigation.”
Former Assistant Principal Robert Micucci, who had been with the district for 36 years before retiring in 2011, will take over in the interim, the district said.