- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
NYPD Cop from LI Killed in Crash
The man who was killed in a truck crash on the Long Island Expressway in Dix Hills early Monday morning has been identified as a New York City police officer.
Suffolk County police said 30-year-old Joseph Pritchard of North Babylon was driving a Dodge pickup truck that stopped for an unknown reason in the westbound right lane of the LIE near exit 51 before being rear-ended by a International box truck at 2:23 a.m.
Both trucks burst into flames upon impact. Pritchard was pronounced dead at the scene.
An NYPD spokesman said Pritchard was assigned to Midtown South and was hired in January 2005.
The driver of the box truck, 34-year-old Eduardo Garcia of the Bronx, was taken to Huntington Hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries. The truck is owned by Barakat Trucking.
Both vehicles were impounded for safety checks while the investigation is continuing.
Second Squad detectives ask anyone with information on this crash to call them at 631-854-8252 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.