- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Westbury Robber Pistol-whips Cabbie
An armed robber pistol-whipped a taxicab driver who tried to take away the gunman’s handgun in Westbury on Tuesday night, Nassau County police said.
The Centro America Taxi Company dispatched the 32-year-old man to pick up a fare on Upland Street near the corner of Rockland Street, where two men got in the cab and one pointed a silver handgun at the victim and demanded money shortly after 10 p.m., police said.
The victim grabbed the gun and a struggle ensued, but the gunman regained control of the gun and hit the victim in the head with it, police said.
Both robbers then went through the victim’s pockets, stole an undisclosed amount of cash and ran away southbound on Upland Street.
The victim was taken to an area hospital for treatment of a laceration and bleeding above his right eye.
Third Squad detectives request anyone with information regarding this robbery to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.