Five Ward Melville High School students were treated at a hospital Tuesday and one was arrested after eating brownies obtained by a fellow classmate, school officials and police said.
The tenth grade students were transported to Stony Brook University Hospital after complaining of elevated heart rates, the Three Village Central School District said in a statement. The symptoms “were the result of the consumption of brownies potentially containing harmful toxins,” the school district said.
Suffolk County police investigated the incident and arrested one student on an unrelated charge. A police spokeswoman said the student was arrested for illegal possession of a gravity knife.
All of the students were released from the hospital.
The school district said it will conduct an internal investigation into the incident and “appropriate disciplinary action will be taken as necessary.”
“The district’s utmost concern is for the safety and well-being of these students,” the district said.