- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
2 Hempstead Murders Reported Minutes Apart
Two murder victims were found separately dead of gunshot wounds about a mile apart in Hempstead within minutes of each other on Sunday afternoon, Nassau County police said.
A person first found a man suffering from a gunshot wound lying on the sidewalk in front of a house on Burnett Street at 3:50 p.m., police said.
Three minutes later, a man was accosted, stabbed and shot in Kennedy Park nearby on Greenwich Street, police said.
A passerby flagged down a passing officer after finding the first victim and witnesses called 911 when they saw the second attack, police said.
Both victims were taken to local hospitals where they were pronounced dead less than an hour later.
Neither victims’ identity was immediately available. Both are scheduled to undergo autopsies Monday at the Nassau County medical examiner’s office.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.