- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 weeks ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Central Islip Brother, Sister Drowned in Pool
A 5-year-old boy and his 7-year-old sister drowned in their neighbors’ pool in Central Islip on Sunday afternoon, Suffolk County police said.
The victims’ mother had reported her two children missing from the family’s Naples Avenue home, prompting a search of the area at 3:30 p.m., police said.
About an hour later, investigators found the children, Ralph and Sharon Knowles, submerged in a backyard pool at a house on Half Mile Road that shared a backyard fence with their home, police said.
The children were taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore where they were pronounced dead.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.