- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Coram Man Killed in Mt. Sinai Crash
An 81-year-old Coram man died when the vehicle he was a passenger in was struck by a truck in Mt. Sinai on Monday afternoon.
Suffolk County police said Bennie Demaro, 86, was making a left turn in his Cadillac from County Road 83 onto Canal Road when his vehicle was hit by a southbound Mazda pickup truck at 2:35 p.m.
His passenger, Salvatore Anselmo, was taken to John T. Mather Hospital in Port Jefferson where he was pronounced dead.
Demaro was taken to Stony Brook University Hospital where he was listed in critical condition.
The Cadillac also struck a Dodge Magnum driven by 53-year-old Lauren Pedone of Port Jefferson Station. Neither she nor her 16-year-old son was injured.
The driver of the pickup truck, 27-year-old Timothy Grady of East Patchogue, was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives impounded the vehicles, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information to contact them at 631-852-6555.