- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 weeks ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Medford Man High on Heroin in Fatal Crash, Cops Say
A Medford man has been accused of driving while high on heroin in a crash that killed a 71-year-old woman in her hometown of East Patchogue on Wednesday evening.
Suffolk County police arrested Justin Klein and charged him with charged with driving while ability impaired by drugs and criminal possession of a controlled substance. Court records indicate investigators found he was in possession of heroin at the time.
Police said the 23-year-old, who is employed by 84 Lumber, was driving a Chevrolet commercial pickup truck southbound on Sills Road when he struck a Chevrolet Classic at the corner of Gazzola Drive at 5:45 p.m.
The driver of that vehicle, Camille Ricciardo, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Klein was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
He will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Central Islip.
Vehicular Crime Unit detectives ask anyone with information about this crime to contact them 631-852-6555.