- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Roosevelt Man 3rd Suspect Nabbed for Attempted Murder
A third suspect has been apprehended for his alleged role in the kidnapping, rape and attempted murder of a woman who was left for dead in Roosevelt last year, Nassau County police said.
Kasim Taylor, 45, was charged with second-degree attempted murder, kidnapping, rape, criminal sexual act, robbery and assault.
Police have said an unidentified man brought the 46-year-old victim to a house a Brookside Drive and left her alone with Taylor, 53-year-old Kenneth Bass and 37-year-old Julia Lopez, all of whom are from Roosevelt, who accused the victim of owing them money on May 5, 2012.
When the victim said that she had no money, Special Victims Squad detectives said the trio “performed a sexual act,” severely beat the victim and stole her handbag and cell phone.
The alleged assailants then placed a plastic bag around her head, tied her hands and feet and dumped her body into a wooded area behind Henry Street, police said. The victim freed herself and screamed for help before being taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Bass and Lopez were arrested two weeks later and have pleaded not guilty to similar charges that Taylor was charged with. They are being held without bail and are due back in court Thursday.
Taylor will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.