- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Valley Stream Man Charged With Ice Cream Robbery
Here’s one guy who allegedly did a lot more than scream for his ice cream.
A 59-year-old man was arrested for robbing a $3.50 ice cream cone from the Carvel about a mile from his Valley Stream home on Wednesday morning, Nassau County police said.
William Hotz walked into the store on Dutch Broadway, placed his order and then gave the clerk a coupon for “One Free Ice Cream Cone,” but the 55-year-old woman behind the counter told him it was expired and he had to pay, police said.
Hotz turned around and walked out of the store exit without paying and then punched the victim several times in the face when she chased the suspect down and confronted him, police said.
When officers arrived, the alleged ice-cream thief refused to be handcuffed, flailed his arms and twisted his body before eventually being taken into custody, police said.
The victim declined medical treatment for a laceration and swelling to her lip. The suspect apparently missed free ice cream day at Carvel last week.
Hotz was charged with robbery and resisting arrest. He will be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.