The New York Islanders are encouraging fans to allow for additional travel time Sunday for Game 3 of their first-round playoff matchup with the Pittsburgh Penguins because of possible congestion surrounding Nassau Coliseum due to road closures for the annual Long Island Marathon.
All roads surrounding the coliseum are scheduled to reopen by 10 a.m. but road closures earlier in the day could create traffic nightmares for fans heading to the Coliseum to see their beloved Islanders, who tied up the series 1-1 during an exciting comeback victory Friday night in Pittsburgh.
The Islanders fought back from a 3-1 deficit to win the game 4-3 on a third period goal with a little more than seven minutes remaining in the game. The Islanders were in danger of falling behind 0-2 in the series after a disappointing 5-0 Game 1 loss in Pittsburgh.
Game 3 is scheduled for noon Sunday. The Long Island Marathon kicks off at 8 a.m.
Here’s a list of road closures from Nassau County police:
Charles Lindbergh Blvd. 4:15 A.M. – 9:30 A.M.
(Merrick Ave. to James Doolittle Blvd.)
Charles Lindbergh Blvd. 7:15 A.M. – 9:30 A.M.
Merrick Ave. 7:30 A.M – 9:45 A.M.
(North of Hempstead Turnpike)
Old Country Road 7:45 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
(Post Ave. to School Street)
School Street 7:45 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
(Old Country Road to Railroad Ave.)
Salisbury Park Drive 7:45 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.
(Closed to Southbound Traffic Only)
Railroad Avenue 7:45 A.M. – 10:00 A.M.
Post Ave. 8:00 A.M. – 10:30 A.M.
(Railroad Ave. to Jericho Turnpike)
Jericho Turnpike * 8:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.
(Post Ave. to Brush Hollow Road)
Brush Hollow Road ** 8:15 A.M. – 11:30 A.M.
Carman Avenue 8:15 A.M. – 2:00 P.M.
(Old Country Rd. to Nottingham Rd.)
Wantagh Parkway 7:00 A.M. – 3:00 P.M.
• Northern State Parkway exits to Post Avenue and Wantagh Parkway will be closed.
• All exits and entrances to and from Wantagh Parkway will be closed
• Meadowbrook Parkway exits and entrances to and from Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (Nassau Coliseum, Nassau Community College) and Eisenhower Park exits will be closed from 4:15 A.M. until 10:00 A.M.
• Eisenhower Park’s Park Blvd. will not allow through traffic between 8:00 A.M and 10:00 A.M. The Hempstead Turnpike entrance to the park will be open throughout the day, with a turnaround at the golf course until 10:00 A.M.
* Westbound side of Jericho Turnpike will remain open
** Brush Hollow Road, south of Wantagh Parkway, will remain open