- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Long Island Craft Beer Week Runs May 10-19
The 10-day island-wide celebration of suds kicks off with a series of happy-hour events Friday at participating bars, restaurants and beer distributers across Nassau and Suffolk counties. It runs through Sunday, May 19.
“As Long Island’s first and largest craft brewery, we’re proud to celebrate the growth of the industry and the rise in craft beer aficionados,” said Curt Potter, spokesman for Patchogue-based Blue Point Brewing Co. “We enjoy Long Island Craft Beer Week as it’s a real celebration of community and the growing craft beer movement.”
The number of craft breweries has tripled from five in 2008 to 15 now with four more in the works to open by the end of this year, according to figures Newsday reported last week. Mustache Brewing Co. in Riverhead, Barrage Brewing Co. in Farmingdale and Oyster Bay Brewing Co. are among the latest local upstarts getting ready to open their doors.
Among the events celebrating local microbreweries are as beer pong contests, “meet the brewer” nights, home brewing classes, a beer festival dubbed “Bay Fest” at Great South Bay Brewery in Bay Shore, craft beer trivia nights and the Golden Tap Awards Gala—the Oscars of local beer.
Participating local bars include T.J. Finley’s, The Tap Room, The Lark Pub & Grub, Croxley’s and The Good Life. Many events include special beer pairing dinners that feature Q&A sessions with the brewers. Prizes and giveaways will also be offered for some of the events, which includes some tastings celebrating off-island brewers.
For more information on Long Island Craft Beer Week, a full list of events, visit www.longislandcraftbeerweek.com