- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
SUV Sinks in Huntington Harbor, Killing Driver
A 29-year-old Huntington Station man died after his SUV skidded off of a wet roadway and plunged into Huntington Harbor on Saturday evening.
Suffolk County police said Edward Franz was driving a Chevrolet Suburban southbound on West Shore Road in Huntington, when he lost control of the SUV on a curve, struck a guardrail, went airborne, rolled over and landed upside down in six feet of water at 5:25 p.m.
Four good Samaritans jumped into the water, used a rock to break a window and rescued the passenger, Liam O’Mara, 20, of Huntington. Officers and Huntington Fire Department firefighters pulled Franz from the vehicle before he was taken to Huntington Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Four of the officers and two of the good Samaritans were treated and released at the same hospital.
Second Squad detectives are continuing the investigation.