- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Central Islip Shootings Leave 1 Dead, 1 Critical
Suffolk County police are investigating two shootings in two days that left one man dead and another man critically wounded a mile apart in their hometown of Central Islip over the weekend.
In the first case, officers responded to a 911 call reporting shots fired on Wilson Boulevard where they found 21-year-old Derrick Mayes lying in the street with a gunshot wound to the abdomen at 11:35 p.m. Sunday, police said.
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
In the second case, 911 callers reported multiple gunshots on Acorn Avenue, 14 blocks from the first shooting, where responding officers found Keenan Russell, also 21, lying in the street with a gunshot wound to his abdomen at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, police said.
Russell was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore where he was admitted in critical condition.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on this case to call them at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.