- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 1 week ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Middle Island Man Killed in Head-on Crash
A 72-year-old Middle Island man was killed when he crashed head-on with another vehicle in North Patchogue, injuring three others, including a baby, on Saturday evening.
Suffolk County police said John Bertuzzi was driving a Kia northbound on North Ocean Avenue when he crossed over into the southbound lane and struck a Volkswagen near Shaber Road at 5:29 p.m.
Bertuzzi was taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue, where he was pronounced dead.
The woman driving the other vehicle, 32-year-old Louise Cervelli of Coram, was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where she is listed in serious condition.
Her 35-year-old husband, Garrett, and their 13-month-old son were taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center. The father is being treated for internal injuries and the baby was treated for minor injuries and released.
Fifth Squad detectives impounded the cars for safety checks and are continuing the investigation, including whether a medical condition may have contributed to the crash.