Long Island’s cultural history will be put on full display during Museum Week, which kicked off Monday.
The weeklong event is a continuation of New York State’s nearly-month long celebration of LI’s history and comes just as New York State completed it’s “Path Through History Weekends.”
The New York State Museum in partnership with the I Love New York organization has launched a campaign inviting all tourist and New York State residents to visit local museums.
The second annual New York State Museum Week will be held from June 10 through June 16. Both organizations are hoping the initiative will draw more public attention and appreciation to the state’s museums.
All museums across the state this week will present several activities, promotions, exhibits, and special events and a handful of deals and discounts will be made available to guests. The events will feature diverse galleries, ranging from science and history to pop-culture and art.
Sixteen Museums on the Long Island are participating in Museum Week:
- The East End Seaport Museum & Marine Foundation in Greenport is offering free Museum admission June 10-16 and will feature several tours.
- Hofstra University Museum in Hempstead is offering a free catalog to any visitor that mentions the I Love NY campaign. Hofstra University Museum will highlight the, “We Hold These Truths…” exhibition in the Emily Lowe Gallery.
- Long Island at Work and at Play historic Photo Exhibit in Cold Spring Harbor.
- Long Island Children’s Museum in Garden City.
- Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County in Glen Cove.
- Long Island Maritime Museum in West Sayville is having a Pirate Festival on June 15-16, 2013
- Maritime Explorium in Port Jeff Harbor is offering $1 of admission if the visitor mentions the Museum Week promotions. There will also be special Father’s Day activities such as testing hoopsters and gliders.
- Northport Historical society in Northport is offering free admission
- Parrish Art Museum in Southampton is offering free admission
- Sagtikos Manor in West Bay Shore will be hosting the “10th Annual Antiquities & Collectibles Show”
- Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities in Cold Spring Harbor is offering Free Admission and will feature the “Long Island at work and at Play Historic Photo Exhibit”
- Steinberg Museum of Art at Hillwood in Brookville is offering Free Admission and will feature a display paintings that surrounds the sea and swimming entitled “Claudia Waters: The Figure in Motion”
- Sweetbriar Nature Center in Smithtown will have the Butterfly houses open all week long
- The Heckscher Museum of Art in Huntington is offering free admission and several activities such as musical performances and photographic galleries.
- The Huntington Historical Society in Huntington is offering free admission to the Conklin House Museum.
- Long Island Museum of American Art, History & Carriages in Stony Brook is offering free admission for senior citizens ages 62 and older on June 11 in the Carriage Museum only.
- Walt Whitman State Historic Site in West Hills is offering free tickets for a tour and a 10% discount in the museums gift shop on June 15. The museum will also feature a Poetry event on June 15, 2013 from 7-9:30 pm