- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
East Hills Teens Arrested for $17K Wheelchair Theft
Two teenage boys who allegedly stole a motorized wheelchair and rode it around Flower Hill until the battery died were arrested after posting photos of the crime online, Nassau County police said.
The 14-year-old East Hills suspects broke into a home that was under construction on Ridge Drive and stole a Quantum 600 Power Base wheelchair worth more than $17,000 at 11:30 p.m. Saturday, police said.
The teens abandoned the wheelchair after it ran out of power. Third Squad detectives apprehended the duo Monday after they posted pictures of the crime on Facebook, police said.
Both suspects were charged with burglary and grand larceny. Their names were not released because they were charged as juveniles in Family Court.
The wheelchair was later found and returned to its owner.