- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Homeless Man Stabbed Mom, Sister in Brentwood, Cops Say
A homeless man has been arrested for breaking into his mother’s Brentwood home where he stabbed her and his sister following an argument on Thursday night, Suffolk County police said.
Seyon Layne, who is estranged from his family, entered the house on Strum Street, where the argument with his mother escalated until she ran into a bedroom with her daughter but the suspect forced his way inside shortly before 9 p.m., police said.
Layne allegedly stabbed his mother and sister multiple times with a knife before they fled the house and called 911 from a neighbor’s house.
K-9 officers apprehended the 26-year-old suspect hiding in a yard of an abandoned home but Layne fought with the police dog, Bema, who bit Layne on his head, police said.
Layne resisted arrested and was tased by another officer before he was taken into custody and charged with two counts of assault.
Layne’s 45-year-old mother and his 15-year-old sister were both taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore where they were admitted in serious condition.
Layne was also hospitalized. His arraignment has not yet been scheduled, police said.