- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Motorcyclist Killed in Cold Spring Harbor Crash
Suffolk County police are investigating a motorcycle crash that killed a man in Cold Spring Harbor Tuesday evening.
Police say at approximately 4:50 p.m. 21-year-old Andrew Garafalo of Melville was operating a 2007 Kawasaki motorcycle southbound on Woodbury Road when he crossed a solid double yellow line to pass another vehicle also traveling southbound.
Garafalo, who police say was traveling at a high rate of speed, struck a 2001 Nissan SUV which was making a left turn from Saw Mill Road to travel north on Woodbury Road.
Second Precinct officers and members of the Advanced Life Support MedCAT team responded. Garafalo was transported to Huntington Hospital via Huntington Community First Aid Squad where he was pronounced dead.
The operator of the 2001 Nissan, Sean Phillips Mayoka, 19, of Cold Spring Harbor, was not injured.
Both vehicles were impounded for a safety check and the investigation is continuing. Detectives are asking anyone with any information to contact the Second Squad at 631-854-8252.