- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Oyster Bay Man Shot by Cop Facing Drug Charges
An alleged drug dealer who a Nassau County police officer shot for allegedly driving into the cop has been identified as a 22-year-old Oyster Bay man, authorities said.
Officers stopped a vehicle driven by Leo Duchnowski on Horse Hollow Road but when the officer approached, the suspect tried to flee and hit the officer shortly after 10 p.m. Monday, police said.
The officer, who was knocked to the ground with a knee injury, fired his gun at the driver as Duchnowski, who was struck by the gunfire, put the vehicle in reverse, police said.
Both the officer and the suspect were taken to local hospitals for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
Duchnowski was charged with assault, reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a controlled substance, criminal sale of a controlled substance.
He will be arraigned at a later date.