- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Long Island Heat Wave Hits Record-Setting 7th Day
Saturday was a record-setting day on Long Island as the sweltering heat wave that has enveloped Long Island for the past week enters its seventh and final day.
Relief came in the form of a cold front, which is expected to finally put an end to this brutal heat wave, according to the Upton-based National Weather Service. Forecasters are also calling for a chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight Saturday, and possibly some lightning as well.
Temperatures are expected to drop to the mid-80s on Sunday.
The previous record measured in Islip was six days in 1993, according to the National Weather Service.
Islip’s records go back to 1984.
But Long Islanders will have to battle one more day of 90-plus degree temperatures, forecasters said.
A heat advisory is in effect until 8 p.m. Saturday as the heat index is expected to reach 100 degrees, forecaster said.
An air quality alert is also in effect until Saturday night. Health officials suggest residents limit strenuous outdoor physical activities, adding that those especially sensitive to the heat are children and people with pre-existing respiratory problems, such as asthma or heart disease.
The National Weather Service also warned of a high risk of rip currents until Saturday evening.