- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 2 weeks ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 1 month ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 1 month ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 1 month ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 2 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 2 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 2 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 2 months ago
- Do This – September, 2013 – Featured Long Island EventsPosted 3 months ago
- Officer Down: Kevin O’Connor’s Seven Year Search For JusticePosted 3 months ago
Medford Woman Killed in Yaphank Crash
A 22-year-old Medford woman was killed when a vehicle she was riding in crashed head-on into two others in Yaphank on Saturday night.
Suffolk County police said Kaitlyn Dougherty was a passenger in a Nissan heading westbound on Horseblock Road when the driver, 23-year-old Christopher Torres of Nesconset, lost control of his vehicle and crossed into the eastbound lane near the corner of Yaphank Avenue at 7:28 p.m.
The Nissan hit two eastbound vehicles, a Ford van driven by William Paravella of Mastic and a Volkswagen driven by Daniel Dittmar of Center Moriches, both 31.
Dougherty was pronounced dead at the scene. Torres was airlifted to Stony Brook University Hospital where he is listed in critical condition.
Paravella, Dittmar and the passenger in the Volkswagen, 35-year-old Stephen Zanca of Yaphank, were taken to Brookhaven Memorial Hospital Medical Center in East Patchogue where they are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.
Fifth Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information on the crash is asked to contact them at 631-854-8552.