- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Hempstead Theft Try Ends in Shooting
A gunman shot and wounded a driver in Hempstead who thwarted the assailant’s attempt to steal the victim’s keys by putting his vehicle in gear on Monday evening, Nassau County police said.
The 24-year-old victim was in a Honda stopped at the corner of Nassau Parkway and Allen Street when the shooter tried to steal the keys from the vehicle and then shot the victim in the right leg when he was unsuccessful at 7:27 p.m., police said.
The suspect ran away northbound on Nassau Parkway. The victim was taken to a local hospital where he was treated for a non life threatening injury.
Third Squad detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous