- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Shirley Woman Killed in Head-on Crash With Bus
A 29-year-old Shirley woman was killed when her SUV crashed head-on with a Hampton Jitney bus in Tuckahoe on Thursday morning, Southampton Town Police said.
Carissa Castillo was driving her Chevrolet Trailblazer eastbound on Country Road 39 when she veered into the opposite lane of traffic crashed head-on with the westbound bus near the corner of Andrews Road at 7 a.m., police said.
The mother of two was pronounced dead at the scene. Her body was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office, where an autopsy will be conducted.
The bus driver, 54-year-old George Scheld of Nesconset, and the bus attendant, 36-year-old Shimona Kameka of Southampton, were taken to Southampton Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries.
New York State and Suffolk County police are assisting in the continuing investigation, which caused partial closure of the roadway that continued into Thursday evening, causing extensive traffic delays on the East End.