- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
Bellport Man Found Dead in Water at Marina
The body of a 56-year-old Bellport man was found floating Thursday afternoon in a Forge River marina on the Poospatuck Reservation, the Mastic home of the Unkechaug Indian Nation, Suffolk County police said.
Marine Bureau Unit officers patrolling the waterway found the body floating in between two boats at the Blackhawk Marina on Poospatuck Lane at 4:20 p.m., police said.
Investigators determined that the incident does not appear to be suspicious and police noted that he was not shot despite an initial statement saying otherwise.
The victim, who was seen at the marina earlier in the day, was not immediately identified.
His body was taken to the Suffolk County Medical Examiner’s office, where an autopsy will be performed to determine the cause of death.
Homicide Squad detectives are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information is asked to call them at 631-852-6392 or call anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-220-TIPS. All calls will remain confidential.