- Homeless: More People Live on the Streets Amid Arctic Blasts than Stats ShowPosted 1 month ago
- EXCLUSIVE: Nassau County Taxpayers Secretly Charged Millions For Police Crime Lab ScandalPosted 2 months ago
- LI Parents & Teachers Revolt Against Common CorePosted 3 months ago
- LIRR Massacre Film Resurrects Horror, Hope & Familiar QuestionsPosted 4 months ago
- Natalie Portman: Hometown HeroinePosted 4 months ago
- Jackie O: LI’s First LadyPosted 4 months ago
- Tattoos on Long Island: Four CornersPosted 5 months ago
- One Year Later: Long Islanders Still Suffering from SandyPosted 5 months ago
- Superstorm Sandy Art: Beauty from DevastationPosted 5 months ago
- Is LI Still Due for the Big One? Experts Differ on ‘Storm of the Century’Posted 5 months ago
LIRR Commuters Met with Delays, Cancellations Tuesday
The East River tunnels track problem that caused up to 30-minute delays into Penn Station on nearly all Long Island Rail Road trains Tuesday morning should be cleared up before the evening commute, a LIRR spokesman said.
Amtrak, which is conducting repairs on the track, told the LIRR that repairs should be completed by the afternoon, according to the LIRR spokesman.
The LIRR attributed the delays and cancellations of a handful of trains to “a track condition” within the East River tunnels.
The track problem forced the LIRR to terminate three trains after they arrived in Jamaica Tuesday morning, and divert two others—one at Hunterspoint Avenue and another at Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. Riders were notified to take the subway into Penn Station. NYC Transit cross honored LIRR fares, the railroad said.
Eastbound service is operating on or close to schedule, the LIRR said.